Bathrooms and kitchens sell houses but unfortunately they are also the most expensive areas to remodel. Sometimes though a bathroom can be fundamentally OK. The tiles may not be exactly as you would choose if you were starting from scratch but everything works and is still pretty modern or at least suits the look and style of your house. If this is the case, you should look carefully at the bathroom to see whether you can simply update it rather than strip it out and start again. It’s well worth considering as a little TLC can really change the look of your tired bathroom.
1) Paint the walls. This is your friend when you need to have a quick, simple and inexpensive update. If much of your wall is just painted a simple case of a fresh couple of coats will work wonders or you could change the look of your room entirely and use a different tone, perhaps a modern, dark grey or a softer grey or taupe colour. You will need to look at the colour of your tiles including the floor and see what may work. A little imagination can transform and freshen the space enormously.
2) Paint the tiles. There are some great paints on the market now for hiding unwanted tile patterns – remember the feature strip around the wall that you or your predecessor thought was such a good idea? A spray of white tile paint will make the room look like new again and a common trick for getting a house ready to sell.
3) Re-grouting. A professional re-grout of your floor and wall tiles will make them appear brand new. Often the tiles themselves are quite acceptable – really what can be wrong about a simple white wall tile. But the mould that you just can’t budge from the grout is a real turn off and one that makes you want to run to the bathroom shop. At the same time, re-caulking around the edges of tiles completes the job. This is an inexpensive solution which will really freshen the room.
4) Invest in new tapware. Updated shiny new tapware and shower fittings won’t break the bank and will add a contemporary touch. If you replace towel rails and soap holders too, you will get a lovely flow to the bathroom accessories which will update the room beautifully. Consider what is contemporary now, perhaps black tapware or a rose gold finish to really fool people into thinking the bathroom is brand new.
5) Add some styling touches. New mirrors and wall lights are another great idea and if your room is large enough and has good ventilation then you could even add pretty touches like wallpaper or inexpensive prints to make the space feel more like a proper room. One to linger in and luxuriate, which is what life should be all about!
Many of these images are of course of new bathrooms but really you can update your look amazingly well by following these few simple ideas which will cost a fraction of a brand new bathroom. I have lots of bathroom inspiration on my Pinterest boards and would love to hear your renovation and updating plans for the new year.